Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Coconut Almond Vegan Cookies (Serious Spectacular)


They may look  plain Jane but they taste like sexy Samantha 

What's up Bunnies?

Here in Rheea Land, life is getting out of control. I am messing up my kitchen every chance I get. The thing is, since I turned vegan, I've become kind of obsessed with how many disco-parties you can create in the mouth using ingredients that don't come from cows and chickens. Think about the great alternatives: chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut/almond/cashew milks (known as mylk in veganland, there's your trivia for the day), dates, vegan chocolate, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, getting the picture?

So you are like, that's great Rheea, but how do you keep stock of all this shit? It's simple, vegan cooking means inculcating some fairly easy grocery habits. Here are the rules:

1. Always buy a big supply of various nuts (especially almonds and cashews). Yes they are expensive, but if you are primarily on a vegan diet, I promise you, nuts are worth the wallet nudge. You will save money by not buying processed shit once you realize how much these damn nuts can do.

2. I just found out about Vegan Arke which is Bangalore's first home delivery service for very very very reasonably priced vegan staples like cashew, almond, coconut milk, vegan peanut curd (which tastes super good by the way), vegan ice cream and a bunch of other stuff. Order and be amazed at both the prices and quality.

3. Always have dates and brown sugar





vegan goodies da bomb


That's all  You are all hooked up for major vegan creations.


Anyhow, today I made these bomb-ass cookies because I wanted something sweet and satisfying, I know, that whole 'sweet and satisfying'  is such an over-used expression, and I really wish I could have come up with something more original, but eh, I kind of want to post this blog in a hurry.

{will this girl stop talking and get to the recipe?}

Yes, I will. Let's go.

What Do I Need?

1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4th cup almond milk
3/4th cup rava (sooji/cream of wheat)
3/4th cup flour (maida)
1/2 cup of oats
3/4th cup brown sugar
1 ts cinnamon powder
1 ts sea salt
2.5 tb chia seeds plus 3-4 spoons of water to get it all gel like
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup almond (whole or halved)
1/2 cup fresh coconut shredded
1.5 ts baking powder
1 ts baking soda


What Do I Do?

Well, we are using the chia seeds (soaked in a few spoons of water) as eggs and we are using coconut oil as butter. So what we do is combine oil + chia seeds first. Then add your sugar, coconut +almond milk and stir (it will be a little lumpy, don't fret)  now add your cinnamon, sea salt, almonds, fresh coconut, and finally stir in your oats, flour, and rava along with the baking powder and soda. You will get a nice wholesome mixture, a little wet (but make sure it's not runny, you have to be able to mould it)


Getting my wet mix on


In a pre-heated oven (180C), make balls and flatten (I made my batch big ones, you can make them smaller too) and bake for about 16 min (depending on your oven) they are ready when you can see it crusty at the bottom but soft on top. They will firm up a little more when you let them cool for 10 minutes.


Right before these puppies go in the oven

Enjoy! Breakfast cookies or as an after-work treat. Super protein too.

I gots to go now lovelies. Till then keep it real!


No comments:

Post a Comment