Friday, July 7, 2017

Umang Singh: Powerlifting with Plants ( The Bearded Vegan)

That is one hot, um, apple. 



Say wassup to Umang Singh. He's originally from Dayalbagh, Agra, but has been living in Bhiwadi, Rajasthan for the last couple of years. He works as an executive for Honda Cars by day, but he is a vegan superhero in genereal. He went on his own fitness transformation in 2012, by then he was already vegan.


He revamped the way he ate and worked out and went from 103 kgs to 68kg, then he worked on gaining lean muscle mass and is a solid 82 kgs today. He's a passionate weightlifter that isn't shy to talk about how easy it is to fuel your body with compassion and nutrition. 

Umang  adopted a indie dog, named Badshah who is the most amazing fitness buddy to have around (or so we think). Badshah is 19 months right now, and yes, calm down, we have pictures.

We've also got pictures of his transformation and his favourite foods, along with a few key responses about his lifestyle that I think most people will find compelling. Let's go!





What's your favourite meal ?

U.S: Cooked broccoli, dry fruits (peanut,almond,walnut),green smoothies (mixture of oats,flax seed ,supergreens and vegan protein ) and oats pancake with peanut butter.










We're guessing this is a broccoli taco! Plant-Power.





Ah, The stereotype of the malnourished vegan. Haha let's all finish chuckling at that one. You're a freaking powerlifter, what do people tell you when you tell them you're vegan? Since you lift a lot, do you have a certain way of planning your meals?



 U.S : When I am working out in the gym, someone inevitably asks me about my diet plan, especially about my protein sources. Most of them are surprised to know that I don't consume any animal products. That's usually when I talk to them a bit about veganism. I basically believe in the 'eat more and workout more' mantra.

I keep my macro nutrients in check i.e 

150gm of protein 120gm of carbs and 50gm of healthy fats(1600kcal), I follow this plan when I am  cutting down.

90gm of proteins 600gm of carbs and 30gm of healthy fats (This is for when I have to bulk up)




Umang's Toastie-Veggie sandwich 
Serious Lifting 





Growing up with Badshah





You post a lot on FB detailing what you eat, and showing us how easy it is to practically get in some working out anywhere (on a park bench for instance). What's your approach to fitness?

U.S : I always tell my friends and the people around who approach me to have a healthy diet and inculcate discipline,consistency,resiliency and to not loose hope no matter what. The key words are "never give up'. It's as simple as that. 




Ferocious philosophy with Badshah




What normal meals/food do you think are severely underrated in our country when it comes to positioning them as food that actually nourishes you and keeps you fit?


U.S : Basically every plant-based food is underrated in our country.
Especially  lentils , porridge , green veggies and nuts. People think it's a waste of money buying all these things, especially in fitness scene. We've been taught we need to  buy dead corpses for nutrition. Flaxseeds is one of the cheapest source of healthy fats and is cultivated in abundance, but people hardly know about it.

If I had to summarise my approach to life and health, it all comes down to this:  'I cannot destruct others to construct myself".




Major life changes







Working out at work!




Damn that's pretty hard to argue with! Keep up with Umang and stay inspired by following him on Facebook and on Instagram!

4 comments:

  1. "I cannot destruct others to construct myself"

    Love that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so inspiring !! I'll follow this and will let you know ..thanks !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! That's so amazing! Please help me plan my diet too :)

    ReplyDelete