Sunday, June 25, 2017

Roshni Sanghvi: Busting Them Fitness Myths Vegan Style




Meet Roshni Sanghvi. This Dhokli and Thepla loving Gujrati was raised in Bangalore. In fact her Kannada is almost as good as her Gujrati. 

Roshini is busting fitness myths vegan style. It didn't start out this way. A few years ago she went to New York and earned her Masters in Clinical Social Work. An unexpected family emergency moved her back to India. That's when the fitness bug bit, so much so she's made it her profession. Today Roshini is a Bangalore-based fitness coach and motivator helping people reach their personal fitness goals. Oh yeah, and of course she's totally vegan and custom makes plant-based diet plans for all her clients. 


Here's 4 questions for Roshini. Spoiler: Her answers will turn your understanding of nutrition and fitness on its head. Let's go!



Hi Roshni! Tell us, how did veganism and fitness intersect for you? 

R.S: As a profession I have been in the fitness industry for close to 5 years. Veganism happen to me when my profession slowly started becoming my passion and I started working on my own physique goals. I believe any person in tuned with his/ her body  will never go back to a regular diet after they try plant-based food. That's simple because you'll understand what a drastic positive effect it has on your endurance and strength. The moment you stop consuming meat and dairy, you cut consuming toxins and chemicals. That means the body can focus on healing and building muscle mass instead of processing meat and dairy. 



I wouldn't mess with her




What are 2 myths you think you are doing a good job of busting as a vegan in the fitness industry?

R.S: The biggest one being that vegans are weaker. In the gym, I can give some of the guys a run for their money when it comes to lifting and endurance.  I do not take any calcium or multi vitamin supplements and have no deficiencies of any sort.

The other myth is that you need proteins to build muscle mass and need to stop carbs to lose weight. I did my body transformation  (32% body fat to 16% at my very best) on a high- carb plantbased diet.



You Can Eat High-Carb Veggie Sushi and Get Fit #mythbuster





You work one -on- one with clients online and offline. What's your approach? Have non-vegan clients been curious/receptive to more plant-based food in their life?

R.S: I only customize plant-based nutrition plans. In the past, I have lost  clients who are not open to change but I guess that is slowly changing now as people have started recognizing me, or see the yummy food pics I post online.  The truth is, once you tell someone you're on a plant-based diet, they think its too restrictive. But that's simply not true. We live in a world where you get everything from vegan ice creams to pizza. Its about keeping an open mind and giving it a shot. There are so many ingredients to work with. 



She's got a sense of humour to boot. Insta Pictures VS her real food. Still, her version is looking pretty slurp to me




What would be an ideal dinner for a person who is trying to stay fit, lose some extra weight, and build some overall body strength? If we had to ask you for one allowable midnight snack while we are Netflix binging what would it be?

R.S: Vegan chilli would be an ideal dinner! Its quick to prepare, and loaded with veggies and flavour! Tasty and still  super nutritious.

For movie nights I'd go with a huge berry cereal bowl (mixed frozen berries dipped in soy milk and ½ spoon cacao powder) if I want something sweet, or a tub of air popped popcorn sprinkled with sea salt if I want something salty.


Want some Roshni in your life? Follow her on Instagram and check out her Youtube Channel for nutrition guidance and fitness tips. 

Stay tuned for another 'vegans in fitness; post coming up next week. Apparently these vegans won't quit being fitness rockstars. Sheesh. 



She earned that warrior pose











1 comment: