Monday, November 20, 2017

Vegan Berry Streusel Muffins (Hello Coffee Break)

hello muffin!


Howdy Hippos!

As promised I am back to blogging after finishing my novel. I had lots of good news in my fiction writer life in the past couple of weeks. I just signed with with my dream literary agent, Stacy Testa, from a very respected literary agency, Writers House New York. And while I am on top of the world, I still have a lot of edits to handle with her before she shops my novel around. So I won't be popping these recipe puppies out by the dozen, but I do promise to give you some choice treats twice a month at the very least. Deal? (I just heard a chorus of DEAL right back at me).

Today I wanted to recreate that perfect coffee muffin with that iconic streusel on top. Turns out it's super easy. I took my inspiration from this post. Except mine had no reason to be oil-free and I also wanted to mix in flour with the oats for a more cakey-feel.


Too pretty to eat

So the first thing we'll do is make the vegan streusel. That's the crumbly bits  you add on top of the batter to recreate that coffee-cake bliss.

Vegan Streusel 

3/4th cup almonds blended/ground into flour
2 heaping teaspoons of ground cinnamon powder
3 tablespoons maple syrup (you could use jaggery syrup too)





These babies will be blended (almonds and cinnamon powder)


That's it! So all you do is add 3/4th cup of almonds and cinnamon in your blender and blend it into almond flour. Put it in a bowl, add the syrup and mix. You'll get a nice lumpy streusel. Set aside.



For the Blueberry Muffins

1 and quarter cups flour
1/2 cup oats
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
1/4th cup vegetable oil
1/4th cup soya mylk
3/4th to 1  cup brown sugar ( 3/4th if you don't like it too sweet)
1 teaspoons cinnamon powder
1 and half teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vinegar
1.5 tablespoon ground flaxseed powder
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (or strawberries or any mix of berries)

Note: You could use 1/4th cup apple sauce (just deseed, peel and blend an apple) instead of the flax seed powder. We use flaxseed powder or applesauce as a binder.







That's how your batter should-kinda look




How to Make

In a bowl add oil, brown sugar, flaxseed powder (or apple sauce),  soya mylk, vanilla, and cinnamon and mix. Add flour, oats, baking soda and powder and mix into a thick batter. It shouldn't be too dry, if it is add a few spoons of water or soya mylk. Now add your berries and mix it up again.

In a lined muffin tray add one heaping tablespoon of batter per muffin lining.  You should have enough batter for 6 medium sized muffins. Once you've done that get your streusel out. Now heap the mixture on top of each muffin.






Adding that magical streusal


Right before you pop'em in the oven



Bake at 180c for 20 minutes.

Enjoy these delights with a glass of iced or steaming hot black coffee.

Have a spectacular week. Keep it real!


















No comments:

Post a Comment