Sunday, March 19, 2017

Bangalore Vegan Treat Alert: Coco Truce Cashew Cheese and Mayo Spreads



Herby, eh? Photo Cred: Coco Truce




Yo Yo Zebras!


You gotta love this city. This Bangalore, I tell you. The amount of local homegrown vendors making vegan treats is on the rise. This means plant-based substitutes is going to be way more accessible and even affordable.  Heads up, I'll be featuring  local vegan companies a couple times a month on my blog so that YOU can dig in, support, and celebrate local food and people making  kind, ethical, and sustainable treats.

So today we have the very spectacular Coco Truce. This Bangalore based homegrown company is run by a couple of vegans in the city. They are offering Cashew Cheese spread and Vegan Mayonnaise for right now. I think they also do a beetroot Hummus too.





Looks like Coco Truce has been Hella Busy. Photo Cred: Coco Truce


This week I got a jar of the cashew cheese and the vegan mayonnaise. First of all, the jars are pretty large. I was expecting tiny bottles, but listen-up coco truce, your camera angles make the jars look smaller than they are. I'd reckon we are getting 250 grams in each jar.


So let's get down to how they taste. The cashew cheese is lovely, right amount of tang, right amount of creamy. This is great on a sandwich or on crackers. I'd say surprise your friends with a fruit, nut and cracker board with this cheese and watch your big mighty jar be finished on the quick.


Let's get to the mayo. So, this is not your traditional mayo. I was expecting it to be a mayo substitute.  In the market a lot of the diet-eggless mayonnaise brands are default vegan. That means a lot of oil, but you know, whatever, it's mayo. But Coco Truce's mayo is more like a delicious salad dressing. I didn't find it oily at all. I used it as a millet-salad dressing, thinned it out with some water, added a chili for extra spiciness and a lump of jaggery to balance it out and it was so good! This spread can be used on sandwiches, pasta salads, and even be used in place of chutney.


Vegan-up your lunch. Photo Cred: Coco Truce


What I really loved about these guys were the amount of herb garnishing on top. Adds that oomph. It's almost sexy.

Each jar of cheese is 250 rupees and the mayo is 200 bucks, which is very reasonable given the amount and the ingredients.  I haven't tried the cheese on pizza yet, but you can bet I'll be doing that this week.


Masala Papad and Coco Truce Spreads were made for each other. Photo Cred: Coco Truce



 This weekend I really scored.  I got Coco Truce treats on Friday, and this Sunday met some vegan friends for lunch and scored a batch of Vegitein Spicy vegan hotdogs and veggie meat strips from the founder of Vegitein, Salona Lutchminarain. I have tried them before and they are amazing. The veggie meat strips just need to be fried up. The texture is amazing. The price to is amazing. 200 bucks for 5 hearty sausage links or 400 grams of veggie meat strips. Listen, mockmeat is the future of meat. We have a huge-ass problem with the industrialised meat and dairy.Whether you are vegan or not, consider using mock meat for some of your meals. It goes a long way in creating a compassionate sustainable future. Let's do this, yeah?



Sneak Peak of my Vegitein swag (Hotdogs + Veggie Meat strips) - stay tuned for a blog on this! 






                                                                                Photo Cred: Coco Truce

I'll be doing an interview with Carrots (which was the first vegan restaurant in Bangalore) and talking about Vegitein in upcoming blogs. So watch out, that vegan fever is going to bite you, albeit compassionately. Haaha, don't you love lame vegan jokes?


Photo Cred: Coco Truce




Alright ants, to order Coco Truce spreads, click on their FB link here and inbox them. Have a solidly super week people!














1 comment:

  1. I have to add that the CocoTruce vegan mayo actually worked beautifully in place of butter, spread inside my masala dosa. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete